Tuesday 23 July 2013

Number 14 - In Which The Baby Is Born.

I know the whole world has been waiting anxiously for the Royal Baby to pop out, and in some ways I hate the amount of media attention it is getting. I think about how stressful, scary and nerve-wracking this time is (I've been there) and can't imagine what it must be like to have the world in your face as it happens.

I also realise that I'm contributing to the mass hysteria by writing this. But as a mother and generally a sensible one at that, I just want Kate and William to enjoy every second of their lives now that the baby has been born. Each one is unique. You'll laugh, cry, fall asleep in the bath, fall asleep on the toilet, stress over stretch marks, stress over nappy sizes, stress over feeding, stress over every single blemish on your child's skin (It's meningitis!! No, it's jam.) You'll sleep when the baby does, wish you could sleep when he isn't. Beware of Jeremy Kyle and the Tweenies. Let your parents get involved but don't be worried about telling them to back off when they won't go away. And most of all, love each other. Remember what it was like to be married before Baby. Don't let the romance go. Have sex.

I'll leave you with a picture I found which is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen and brought happy tears to my eyes. Apologies for not crediting the photographer - I think it's been shared so much online, the original photographer has been lost in the ether.


No comments:

Post a Comment